THE INDUSTRIAL RAILWAY RECORD

No. 52 - p176-177

FEBRUARY 1974

AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA (1)   A view outside Bunnerong Power Station locomotive shed at Sydney, on 4th April 1966. Both locomotives, standard gauge 2‑6‑0's built by Dubs in 1891, were obtained second hand from the New South Wales Government Railways. The front one is 5 (Dubs 2635, ex‑NSWGR 2413), whilst behind it is 6 (Dubs 2636, ex‑NSWGR 2414): both sport a pale green livery with large yellow numerals on the cab sides.        (R. T. Horne)

AUSTRALIA (2)  The casual observer of this photograph could be forgiven for thinking that it was taken in South Wales some 20‑30 years ago. In actual fact these three standard gauge Avonsides were to be seen in the loco shed at South Bulli Colliery, New South Wales, on 15th July 1967. Owned by the Bellambi Coal Co Ltd, to whom they were supplied new, they are (from left to right) Avonside 1453 of 1902, 1574 of 1909 and 1540 of 1907: running numbers are 1, 4 and 5 respectively.        (R. T Horne)

AUSTRALIA (3)  This photograph provides an interesting comparison between "standard" industrials built in Great Britain and the USA. It was taken at the Port Kembla Steelworks (New South Wales) of the Australian Iron & Steel Co Ltd on 19th February 1966. POSSUM, a larger than average standard gauge Manning Wardle 0‑4‑0 saddle tank (1802 of 1912), originally CYCLOPS with Vickers Ltd at Barrow-in-Furness, is absolutely dwarfed by BANDICOOT, a Porter 0‑6‑0 saddle tank (7160 of 1930). In the background is a further outside cylinder 0‑6‑0 saddle tank, BURRAWA, built in 1938 by the Clyde Engineering Co at Glanville, NSW.        (R. T Horne)